Ideas from IDEO for Museum Designers
Fred Dust from from the design firm IDEO gave a great session at the AAM Conference on Tuesday morning.
There were many great takeaways involving IDEO's approach to "design thinking" that were useful for museum folks. Here are some bullet points that I rapidly scribbled down on my legal pad:
• Good design reframes problems.
• Constraints create/Create constraints.
• Every design problem is an opportunity to learn.
• Don't survey (design for behaviors, not demographics).
• Museums need to look at everything as their competition, not just other museums.
• Evolution is revolution --- create cheap, easy prototypes! (real-time and full-scale, if possible.)
• Crowdsource for questions not answers.
So get out there and start looking for questions!
Don't miss out on any ExhibiTricks posts! It's easy to get updates via email or your favorite news reader. Just click the "Free Updates" link on the right side of the blog. P.S. If you receive ExhibiTricks via email (or Facebook or LinkedIn) you will need to click HERE to go to the main ExhibiTricks page to make comments or view multimedia features (like videos!)